Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Very Special Day

I vividly remember the moment, 614 days ago, that Erin told me she was expecting a little surprise. I was having dinner with Dad when she called and he did not know yet, so I not only had to keep the secret for a bit, but force myself not to react when she told me. I was THRILLED!

By September of last year, I was ready for that baby to be born. Since Erin was not able to travel for my grandma's funeral, I went up to New York afterwards as a surprise. I was (not so secretly) hoping she would pop while I was there, but despite Erin's best efforts to coax (or maybe smoke) Alivia out of there - including lots of walking, castor oil, and a very unpleasant ginger tea concoction suggested by some lady at Target - it was not to be.

Two weeks later, I got the call that Erin was in labor and many many hours and updates later, as I slept with my cell phone nestled next to my head, I learned that Alivia Jade was finally here. The first half hour or so was nerve-wracking. Mom told me that she was out, but it had been an extremely difficult delivery and they were not sure if she was okay. While her first minutes, hours and days, were less than ideal, she turned out to be just fine - perfect, if you ask me!

Over the past year, I have watched this precious child grow and develop her own personality and change all of our lives. Most notable, is the change in Erin. She is no longer just my big sister, she is a mother. She has more strength and love than I ever would have known. Neither her pregnancy, nor delivery could be described as easy. Alivia's short life has been fraught with "complications." But my big sister takes it all in stride. She schleps to doctor's appointments and therapies most days of the week and doesn't seem to get bogged down by it. Her amazing love for her daughter shines through it all and I know she would do absolutely anything for her. I couldn't be more proud.


And as for this little girl, not quite a baby any more, she is the shining star of the family. She is smart and funny, moody and loving, fearless and gentle. She loves books and Elmo and dances whenever there is music (and sometimes when there isn't). She climbs on everything and chases the dog around the house. She eats green beans by the handful and likes to suck on lemons. Her laugh is completely infectious. She is loved beyond words.

Happy birthday, my darling Alivia (Ali, AJ, Liv, Livvy, Libya, etc. etc.)! Thank you for coming into our lives.

3 comments:

Katy's 101 in 1001 said...

She is so cute and I can't believe she's already a year old. Isn't being an aunt the best?

R.E. said...

I still maintain she is the cutest baby ever. Even though she isn't really a baby anymore.

Moments In Time said...

wow....taht almost made me cry! you are a great writer! =)

 
Designed by Lena