Tuesday, October 21, 2008

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

The first movie I can remember really loving as a kid and wanting to watch over and over was 42nd Street. When most little girls my age wanted to be Rainbow Brite, I wanted to be Peggy Sawyer. I thought she was just the most beautiful woman there ever was and the musical numbers in the movie dazzled me. That was the beginning of my life-long love of musicals and musical theater.

Grease was always a favorite, though watching it now I am shocked by some of the adult content that slipped past me as a kid. I remember the first time my mom and I watched A Chorus Line and then she took me to see the stage production in high school. From The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady, to Moulin Rouge and Chicago, with Funny Face and Singing in the Rain thrown in the middle, I am always up for watching a movie that incorporates song and dance into the story. In fact, I've long maintained that the world would be a happier place if people really did randomly break into choreographed musical numbers.

Last night I decided to pop in my old video - yup I still own and use a VCR - of what is probably my best loved musical of all time (and one of favorite movies ever)- Funny Girl. If you have not seen this movie, you need to! Barbara Streisand is flawless, the songs are timeless and the clothes are gorgeous. I've been singing Don't Rain on My Parade in my head all day. Here's a great scene for those of you who are unfamiliar. Quite the silly seduction, but the inner monologue is great and I would kill for that dress.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena