Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Love Affair With Wikipedia

I have automatic spell check set up in Outlook for my work emails. This morning a coworker was giving me a hard time. He (jokingly) said I was being violent in my request for some forms that were due yesterday and that only about 5% of the people who needed to fill these forms out had bothered to turn in. So when I typed "hahaha" in my response to him, my spellcheck tried to correct me by offering to change that to "Hahira." My curiousity got the best of me and I googled it.



Hahira is a town in the northern part of Lowndes County, which is in the southern part of Georgia. It was once known as the "Queen Bee Capital of the World," because Queen Bees were produced (I'm guessing that means bred) and shipped from a factory there. It was home to JD, Tim and Stephen Drew who are all brothers and professional baseball players. As of the 2000 census, Hahira had 1,626 residents.

One of the best loved of those citizens was Mamie Sorrell. It seems Mamie had quite the life and presence in Hahira. She worked as a nurse and purchasing agent at the hospital for 27 years, she worked for the city for 14 years, she was a clerk at the Baptist church and she owned and ran a floral shop. On top of that, she was on the chamber of commerce, a member of the historical society, president of the Pink Ladies Auxiliary and a founder of the Hahira Honey Bee Festival.

In March of this year, the Hahira City Council passed an ordinance that bans sagging. Citizens are not allowed to wear pants that sit below the waist and reveal skin or undergarments. I actually remember hearing about it when the law was passed, but didn't know where it had happened.

I know nobody else cared to know what Hahira meant, but this kind of stuff is why I usually win at trivia games.

By the way, Blogger tried to correct the spelling of Hahira to Hadria...I won't even go there.

1 comment:

Amy J. said...

(From Wikipedia)
"Hadria may refer to:

Hadria is an alternative spelling for the Etruscan city that is now Adria in the Veneto region of Northern Italy.

Hadria is an alternative spelling for the city that is now Atri in the Abruzzo region of Central Italy."

Elyse, I think I love you. You are so much like me it's a little scary! And now, Hahira is on my list of obscure places to visit.

 
Designed by Lena