Friday, October 3, 2008

Do You Want Fen-Phen With That?

Right now I am in New York for Alivia's first birthday (well, that is really just my excuse to take a couple of days off work and visit the family and one of my favorite cities). Aside from the party on Sunday, the only definite plans were for a sisters' trip to see Legally Blonde the Musical. Erin had already seen it once, but it's closing soon and she wanted another go and I was eager to see this adaptation.

The show was very good. All of the charm of the original movie with a lot of the same funny lines, but plenty of new twists and changes thrown in. Bailey Hanks stars as Elle and I have to say that I was very impressed with her. She is a total newcomer, having been discovered through an MTV reality show/competition to cast the role. She reminds me of a young Kristin Chenoweth in her mannerisms and voice.

After the show, we stopped for a slice of pizza and I had a horrible confrontation with a new law in New York City. You see, the powers that be recently decided that people are not trustworthy enough to be responsible for minding their own caloric intake. It is now required that restaurants don't just provide the calorie count for any dish if it is requested by a patron, they have to display it on the menu! Honestly, I'm not usually somebody who feels passionately about the government staying as small and unobtrusive as possible, but this is over the line, in my opinion.

Obviously I know that a piece of pizza is not a healthy choice, I do not care to see that it is going to cost me 700 calories a slice. Seriously! But, by far the biggest shock was the Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken. Now, I did not see the size of a portion and I'm assuming it was quite large, but according to their own calculations, one serving of this dish contains a whopping 3070 calories. That is more than 150% of the daily suggested caloric intake for an adult. I'm am appalled and disgusted and dismayed. How is anybody supposed to ever enjoy a meal with this information staring them down?

1 comment:

hart2hart said...

now that's just awful! i don't need to know that information... i just want to enjoy my high calorie gourmet dinner!

 
Designed by Lena