Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Daddy's Girl

My dad is great. He is pretty much everything I think of when I think of what a dad should be. We haven't always been as close as I would like, because we haven't lived in the same city since I was seven, but he's definitely always made a great effort. My whole childhood, he would write letters to us every week, as well as calling a few times throughout the week. Even today getting something in the mail besides bills and junk is really nice, but as a kid, having mail just for me every week was thrilling!

Now that I'm all grown up, I see him even less often than before. He still calls me a couple of times a week and we meet for dinner between Austin and Boerne at least once every couple of months. It would be nice to think that I didn't need my daddy anymore, but I do. He still takes care of me in ways that only he can.

********

I have this truck. I got it when I was 16 and drove it until I bought my new car last December. I was never terribly fond of this truck - it was not my choice - and did not take very good care of it. When it came time to buy my new car, I knew that it would not be worth enough to really help me, so I didn't bother trying to trade it in. I had money for a down payment, so I decided I'd just sell the truck on my own.

Well, the truck has just been sitting, ignored, for 10 months. It has a flat tire (whether from not being driven or from a hole, I don't know) and it won't start because the battery is run down from lack of use. I want to sell it, I need to sell it, but there are a few things I have to do to be able to sell it and the whole process is daunting and seems like a pain in the butt. It would be nice to have whatever small amount I could make from the sell, but I don't need the money, so I just keep putting it off.

********

My dad is going to be in town today on business. We decided we'd have our semi-monthly dinner tonight, since he'd be here anyway. This morning he called to say that he'll probably be done with business about an hour before I get off work, so he's going to fix my flat and charge up my battery for me. This has given me new resolve to get the truck sold. I'm sending off the paperwork I need to take care of today. Hopefully that means I can have it sold within the next month-and-a-half or so and have the money for Christmas shopping. My dad is great!

2 comments:

R.E. said...

Finnnnnaalllyyy!!

Just messin'. This is good news!

Joy said...

I thought you loved that truck. It was so cute with the cow steering wheel and the little cowgirl antenae ball.

 
Designed by Lena