Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Things Girly

There are some movies that come on T.V. over and over. Between TBS, TNT and the multitude of stations directed at women, you can pretty much bet they are playing non-stop. A few of these movies suck me in every time I see them on. It doesn't matter that I've seen Steve Martin try to "steal" hotdog buns from the grocery store 592 times, as soon as I hear Franck Eggelhoffer's accent, you can bet I'm going to stop flipping channels and watch the rest of the movie...and I'm probably going to cry at the end.

Almost a year ago, I took up embroidery. Ari and I decided that to save money last Christmas we were going to set a rule that we had to make each other's gifts, so I bought a kit and embroidered an apron for her. I love embroidery because it is quite easy, I usually like the way it looks when I'm done, it doesn't take too long to complete a project (good for my attention span or lack-thereof), and people seem to be impressed by it; they assume it takes a lot more work than it does.

My sweet friend, Desma, is less than a month from delivering her first baby (I promise these three non sequiturs are about to make sense). She is having a little girl and they have decided to name her Shelby. Of course, the first thing that comes into my head when I hear that name is another of those movies that sucks me in every. single. time. - Steel Magnolias.

At the beginning of the movie, the character Shelby is getting married and she and her mother are constantly bickering about wedding details, not the least of which are her wedding colors. Shelby says they are Blush and Bashful, while her mom declares they are pink and pink. I wanted to do something special for Desma and sweet Shelby for her shower last month, so I decided to embroider some onesies.

I'm sure that, if she hasn't already, Desma is going to get tired of the Steel Magnolias references at some point, but I simply could not help myself. Obviously she can't wear both outfits at once, so the only people who know the significance are the parents and the people who were at the shower. The 3rd was done with a Kurt Halsey design from Sublime Stitching. I love all of the templates on the site and have used several for projects. I just used another on a gift for Alivia and will likely post pics of that in the next week or so.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This photo, although cute, does not do those onsies justice!! They were adorable and the attention to detail was amazing!

R.E. said...

And my apron kicks butt. I just pulled it out of the wash this morning!

R.E. said...

And my apron kicks butt!

I just pulled it out of the wash this morning!

 
Designed by Lena