Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's The Rush?

Christmas is one of my favorite times of year. I think I have only come to appreciate it more as I've grown up. Johnathan collects Christmas music like nobody I've ever met, so I knew he was just right for me, because Christmas songs are the only thing I like to sing more than show tunes. I grew up in a house that had a Christmas tree in every room. Literally! There were even little, fully decorated trees sitting on the backs of the toilet tanks come December. And every tree had a theme: the guest bath was seashells, the master bath was angels, my mom's room had an Elvis tree, the living room was decorated in all burgundy and gold, the office was a white tree with blue lights and fish ornaments, the game room was a candy tree. My mom's decorating style definitely wore off on me too, my tree is silver and the lights and ornaments coordinate with my year-round decor. Besides that, I also buy gift wrap to match the tree, so the presents don't clash when they are under it.

The point is that I love Christmas and the Holidays in general. I love to shop for the perfect gift for my loved ones and love to watch them open their presents, I love to gather with family, I love Christmas movies, I love to go to midnight candlelight service at church and hear the same beautiful story of Christ's birth that I've heard so many times and sing hymns by the glow of hundreds of little flames.



However, I cannot stand when I start seeing Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving has even rolled around. I get that stores need to sell Christmas items early. That is fine with me. But last week - two full weeks before Thanksgiving - I suddenly felt inundated by all of the hoopla way too early. First it was driving by the big shopping center near me and seeing Christmas wreaths on all of the columns. Then I began seeing lights and decorations on peoples' houses.



But the final straw was driving out to Johnathan's parents' house on Friday night. I was flipping channels on the radio and the local soft rock station was playing "Home for the Holidays." I thought it must surely be an ad. I remember Lowes or somebody using it in the past. As the song kept going on with no voice-overs I realized that it was, in fact, just the song that they were playing. I tried to excuse it. After all, it isn't strictly a Christmas song. There's no place like home for Thanksgiving, too. But then the next song was "Winter Wonderland." The station (which always plays nothing but Christmas music for the Holiday season) had already switched over its programming!
The thing is, as much as I love Christmas myself, when you start it so early, I feel like it takes away from the excitement and enjoyment of the season. By the time Christmas, or even December, rolls around, there will have been so much "Christmas cheer" about that it will have become more annoying than spirit-giving. Besides, if you are already celebrating the Christmas season two weeks before Thanksgiving, aren't you sort of overshadowing that occasion? It's un-American is what it is!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena