Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Great Expectations

When I used to think about what I wanted in a husband, I had realistic expectations. I never needed anybody who was rich or gorgeous or any superlatives one might come up with. All I ever wanted was somebody who was enough. Somebody who would love me enough, who was smart enough, who was funny enough, who was handsome enough, with whom I had enough in common.

Three years ago today, my new friend Johnathan and I went to see an Ansel Adams exhibit at the HRC. I had been wanting to see it, but didn't really have anybody to go with and he was into photography, so we went. After viewing the exhibit, neither of us was ready to go home, so we decided to head downtown and take a walk on Town Lake. The Celtic Festival was in full swing, and we were serenaded by the music of it as we strolled along the water talking about everything and nothing and enjoying comfortable silences. We were having such a great time, that we decided to have dinner at Katz's before going our separate ways. By the time we parted that evening, we both knew that there was much more than friendship between us. Months later, I would ask him when he thinks we actually started dating and he gave the answer that was already in my head. It was that day - November 5, 2005.

In Johnathan I found so much more than my "reasonable expectations." I wanted somebody who would love me enough and got somebody who loves me better than anybody in the world. I wanted somebody who was smart enough and I got somebody who challenges me, teaches me and opens himself up to learn from me too. I wanted somebody who was funny enough and I got somebody who can make me laugh any time, no matter how hard I resist. I wanted somebody who was handsome enough and I got somebody who melts me with his eyes and takes me away in his strong arms. I wanted somebody with whom I had enough in common and I got somebody who shares my values and takes interest in all of my hobbies.

I was blessed the day that I met Johnathan. If the slightest factor of either of our lives had been different that day, we would never had known the other existed. I truly believe that God wanted us to meet each other, to love each other and to build a life and a family together to His glory . It has not always been easy and I know there will be plenty of struggles ahead, but I thank Him for my soul mate every day. Happy 3rd Anniversary, My Sweet Babboo!

1 comment:

R.E. said...

That still sounds like one of the best dates ever.

 
Designed by Lena