Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cake Balls

I first heard about cake balls a few months ago. They are basically just cake that is mashed up and mixed in with icing, which you then form in balls and coat with chocolate or bark. Sounds like they'd be delicious! When The Pioneer Woman posted about them for Halloween I decided it was time to see what all the fuss was about. Last week, my cousin Holli and I tried them out and here are the results:


We used red velvet cake mix from a box. It helped me solidify the opinion that when it comes to red velvet, if it isn't from scratch, it just isn't worth it. But we were spoiled because our grandma made THE BEST red velvet cake. She was famous for it...at least at church, which counts in my book.









Again, we cheated by using canned cream cheese frosting and again, I think it would have been so much better if we'd made it ourselves or just gone with a different flavor combination. I didn't read the ingredient list, but I'm pretty sure there is neither cream cheese, nor cream cheese flavor in the icing we used.









Forming the balls is messy business. It was getting late and Holli was hopped up on Vicodin for a lung infection she is recovering from. We found a joke about being "caught red-handed" entirely too funny.









I neglected to take any pictures of the coating process - mostly because my hands were covered in vanilla bark and it's a time sensitive business.

Final verdict? They were pretty good. As I've said, I think they would have been better in a different flavor combination or if we'd had the time and desire to make them from scratch. If an occasion arises again where cake balls are appropriate, I am willing to give them another try. If nothing else, it's fun to spend an evening getting messy and consuming sugar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are cake balls just not over grown donut holes?

Joy said...

Over grown donut holes!? Not even close. They so much better. I should actually be mad about this post because now that I made them, I can't stop eating them. Diet, what diet?

 
Designed by Lena