Monday, December 15, 2008

Not So Boring

As I spent Saturday night in a typical way - doing laundry and watching an old movie from Netflix - I was thinking about how boring my life is and how it doesn't make for very much to blog about. It's not really a complaint. No news is good news and all that. But I do wish I had more to write about on here. So I lamented my boring blog, finished my laundry and went to bed.

At 2:40 Sunday morning, Keller started barking and then I heard a knock at the door. I looked out the peephole and saw an unknown man in his late 20's to early 30's. I opened the door a crack, keeping most of my body (read: leverage) behind the door and peeking my head around to see what he wanted. He told me that some people had tried to jump him in the parking lot of my apartments and asked me to call the police. I told him I would and shut and locked the door to go get my phone. While I was calling he knocked again and asked for some water, so I went and got him bottle and gave it to him (shutting and locking the door behind me every time). Finally, when I had given all of the information I had to the dispatcher, I told him that they were on their way and just sat and waited.

A few minutes later I could hear the police outside and before long there was another knock at the door. This time it was the police. The officer asked me a few questions and then chastised me for opening the door, telling me that he did not believe the guy's story and did not think it was a coincidence that he happened to knock on the door of a single woman. My opinion is that if he had any intention of harming me he would have asked or made a move to get into my apartment and he would not have asked me to call the police, much less wait around for them to show up. But honestly, it wasn't until the officer told me that he was concerned for me that it even hit me that my safety could have been in question.

That got me emotional. I was not afraid at all. The whole thing was over and I never felt the least bit threatened. But I was still upset and I have to thank my mom for not freaking out when I called her crying at 3:00 AM about the cops and the strange man who came to my door. She didn't even get mad at me for being so "irresponsible." I have been accused in the past of being too trusting or naive. I know that these people are right, but for me, I have to live in a world where I trust in the basic goodness of people until they show me otherwise.

About a half hour later, the police knocked again and asked me some more questions: whether I'd been outside late that night, if my blinds had been open, etc. They said that the man did not know whether I had called them or not, which leads me to believe my suspicion that he had some mental problems. When all was said and done I was able to go back to sleep fairly easily, thanking God that I was safe and appreciating the boring times just a bit more.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I thank God that you were okay and what a great mom you have.

R.E. said...

You're a good person. One of the many reasons I adore you.

Still, I'm glad you're safe.

hart2hart said...

Wow! I'm so glad you are safe! It could have turned out bad but I'm so thankful it didn't. I would have done the same thing though. Believing in the goodness of man isn't a bad thing. I wish more people did.

 
Designed by Lena